Searching for a renewed perspective on what’s important in life? Look no further than nature. Nina proves that citrus trees teach us valuable things about seasons and relationships. Over a roaring fire, the Shirleys, their dogs and friends gather together for a Sri Lanken feast that proves there’s calm (and flavor!) after the storm.
Citrus Mango Salsa
Serves 8, Total Time: 30 Minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. lime juice
1 chopped serrano pepper
1 naval orange
1 blood orange
1. Mix first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Peel citrus from the outside, remove white pith and remove membranes.
3. Add chopped citrus and mango to bowl.
4. Serve with chips or on tacos.
Santi's Provoleta (cast iron cheese)
Serves 8, Total Time: 30 minutes
1/2 lb thick sliced provolone cheese (from the deli)
3 garlic cloves (crushed in mortar and pestle)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in cast iron.
2. Add cheese and 1/2 of the garlic.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 of the garlic, oregano and chili powder.
4. When cheese is melted, pour spices on cheese.
5. Cheese is done when it is melted and slightly browned on sides.