Farm life is Nina’s lifelong dream, but isn’t always glamorous. Sometimes, it’s about rolling up the sleeves to keep up with the dirty work and other times, unexpected curveballs can turn life at the farm upside down in an instant. From caring for animals to caring for each other, Nina and Brendon’s walk through the dark valley leads to unforeseen miracles and joy.
Makes: 3 pints, Total Time: 45 minutes
3 pint mason jars
3 lid and ring sets
6 pickling cucumbers
9 sprigs of fresh dill
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
3 Tbsp. salt
3 tsp. minced garlic
3 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. Slice cucumbers into spears.
2. Boil a large pot of water and sanitize mason jars, lids and rings.
3. Boil water, vinegar and salt.
4. Put 3 sprigs of fresh dill, 1/2 tsp. garlic, 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional) in jars.
5. Pack jars tightly with cucumber pieces.
6. Once salt is dissolved in boiling vinegar mixture, fill the jars to 1/2 inch from the rim with liquid.
7. Put lids and rings on tightly. Let cool.
8. Refrigerate. Pickles are ready in 48 hours.